In the Kitchen with Abbey
If you are anything like us, you loved getting a behind the scenes sneak peak into our very own, Abbey Hybl's life during her Instagram takeover last week. Not only did she show us what goes into preparing for her super fun classes, but also the types of culinary creations that fuel her rides. Fortunately, Abbey shared one of her favorite simple and tasty recipes with us so we can try them out on our own! Check it out!
Greek Chicken Gyros
Abbey says: "These Greek Chicken Gyros are probably one of the simplest dinners I make and are SO good! To make the meal more substantial, pair with a side of sweet potato fries or a small cauliflower rice salad."
- ½-1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. chopped dill
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp. salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 lb. 99% lean chicken breast or chicken tenders (chicken thighs would work here too!)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic (I buy a jar of pre-minced garlic and it’s a lifesaver)
- 1 teaspoon mixed seasoning (I used a Mrs. Dash Italian blend)
- Optional: Buy store bought marinade to save time! Look for those brands that have the fewest ingredients (I’ve used Taste Of Inspirations Lemon Garlic Marinade in the past)
- 2 Whole-wheat or garlic Naan
- 1-2 cups diced cucumber
- 1-2 cups diced tomato
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Optional: add other vegetables you enjoy! I added bell peppers the last time I made this simply because I needed to use them up before going bad!
- To prepare the marinade, mix lemon juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic and Italian seasoning blend in a bowl.
- Add chicken and let sit for a minimum of one hour but up to 1 day.
- Heat olive oil in skillet and add marinated chicken.
If you’re cooking chicken tenders, cook about 4 minutes per/side.- If you’re cooking large chicken breasts, preheat the oven to 425 F. Sear the breasts on high, about 2 minutes per/side and transfer to the oven for 20-23 minutes. While you're doing this, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add red onions and sauté until soft. Add any additional vegetables you’re adding at this point.
Set chicken and sauteéd vegetables aside.
To prepare the dressing, add Greek yogurt, chopped dill, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a bowl. Mix well.
Turn oven on to the lowest setting and add Naan for a few minutes to heat and soften. You can also throw these in the toaster!
To assemble your Gyro, put a dollop of the Greek yogurt dressing on one half of the Naan. Add chicken, red onion, tomatoes, cucumbers and top with feta.
We cannot wait to try this out! You can follow Abbey on Instagram for more insight to her delicious kitchen creations, inspiring music, and quest to crush the Tri for a Cure, for which she is fundraising to support the amazing work of the Maine Cancer Foundation. And, of course, you can catch Abbey on the bike each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. #rêveitup